Fire Genasi Guide 5e
Published on January 2, 2023
Tap into the Elemental Plane of Fire with the fire genasi! From fire resistance to some fun flaming spells, the fire genasi race can turn up the heat for any character build.
Magali Villeneuve - Wizards of the Coast - Chandra, Torch of Defiance
What is this guide?
This guide is meant to give you an idea of whether or not the fire genasi will be right for your 5e character build.
The color code below has been implemented to help you identify, at a glance, how good that option will be for your fire genasi. This color coding isn’t a hard and fast rule; there are plenty of sub-optimized options out there that will be viable to your party and will be fun to play.
- Black is a trait shared by many races and or will not impact the effectiveness of your character build
- Red isn’t going to contribute to the effectiveness of your character build at all
- Orange Situationally good, but a below-average option otherwise
- Green is a good option
- Blue is a great option, you should strongly consider this option for your character
- Sky Blue is an amazing option. If you do not take this option your character would not be optimized
Tasha's Cauldron of Everything Update
Tasha's Cauldron of Everything has added the "Customizing Your Origin" option that may affect the ability score increases, languages, and proficiencies in this guide. To read more about this, visit our D&D Race Guide.
What are Fire Genasi in 5e?
Source: Monsters of the Multiverse
Fire genasi are humanoids descended from the efreet, genies from the Elemental Plane of Fire. Able to channel the fiery powers of their ancestors, fire genasi can produce and manipulate flames to enhance their abilities in combat. They’re affinity with fire also manifests as a resistance to fire damage, allowing them to venture into normally hostile environments with ease.
The fire genasi’s appearance ranges from individual to individual. Some have charcoal skin, while others have shades of red or orange. If they have hair, it can take the form of wispy trails of smoke or tongues of flame.
Fire Genasi 5e Traits
Size: Being able to choose between Small and Medium allows you to fine-tune your build. Looking to go for a heavy weapon-weilding barbarian? Medium is the way to go. Wanting to lean a bit more to the stealthy side of things? Small size might be right for you.
Darkvision: Darkvision is always great, but its advantage can be ruined if your party members do not also have it.
Fire Resistance: Beyond physical damage (bludgeoning, piercing, and slashing), fire is the most common damage type in 5e. This makes a permanent resistance to fire damage incredibly useful.
Reach to the Blaze: Produce flame has some utility and can attack as a less powerful fire bolt, and burning hands is one of the best AoE damage spells for its level. Flame blade is a tricky one, because it can’t be used with most class features like Extra Attack, Sneak Attack, or Flurry of Blows. That said, if you don’t get extra attacks at 5th level, it can be a solid way to increase your melee damage.
Sources Used in This Guide
- Basic Rules
- Dragonlance: Shadow of the Dragon Queen
- Eberron: Rising from the Last War
- Elemental Evil Player’s Companion
- Explorer’s Guide to Wildemount
- Fizban's Treasury of Dragon
- Guildmasters' Guide to Ravnica
- Monsters of the Multiverse
- Mordenkainen’s Tome of Foes
- Mythic Odyessys of Theros
- Player's Handbook
- Spelljammer: Adventures in Space
- Strixhaven: A Curriculum of Chaos
- Sword Coast Adventurer’s Guide
- Tasha’s Cauldron of Everything
- The Tortle Package
- The Wild Beyond The Witchlight
- Van Richten's Guide to Ravenloft
- Volo's Guide to Monsters
- Xanathar’s Guide to Everything