Leonin Guide 5e
Published on February 2, 2022, Last modified on May 19th, 2022
Anna Steinbauer - Wizards of the Coast - Ajani, Valiant Protector
What is this guide?
This guide is meant to give you an idea of whether or not the leonin will be right for your 5e character build.
The color code below has been implemented to help you identify, at a glance, how good that option will be for your leonin. This color coding isn’t a hard and fast rule; there are plenty of sub-optimized options out there that will be viable to your party and will be fun to play.
- Black is a trait shared by many races and or will not impact the effectiveness of your character build
- Red isn’t going to contribute to the effectiveness of your character build at all
- Orange Situationally good, but a below-average option otherwise
- Green is a good option
- Blue is a great option, you should strongly consider this option for your character
- Sky Blue is an amazing option. If you do not take this option your character would not be optimized
Tasha's Cauldron of Everything Update
Tasha's Cauldron of Everything has added the "Customizing Your Origin" option that may affect the ability score increases, languages, and proficiencies in this guide. To read more about this, visit our D&D Race Guide.
What are Leonin in 5e?
Source: Mythic Odyessys of Theros
Leonin are noble, fierce creatures native to the plains of Oreskos on Theros. They typically live in nomadic tribes and tend to have an unfavorable view on outsiders. Leonin are quick to anger and will retaliate against even the slightest insult to their honor or pride. Larger than most humanoids, most leonin have powerful builds which, when combined with their sharp claws and teeth, makes the formidable foes.
Leonin 5e Traits
Ability Score Increase: +2 CON is useful for just about any class (who doesn’t want more hitpoints?), but the +1 STR narrows the viability of this array for most non-martial classes. Typically, CON is a secondary or tertiary focus, so getting +2 to it and a bonus to STR can leave most builds looking for spellcasting modifiers or DEX high and dray. This array is great for classes that want to get down and dirty in combat.
Speed: An extra 5 feet of walking speed is solid for closing the distance with enemies or keeping your distance, depending on your build.
Darkvision: Darkvision is always great, but its advantage can be ruined if your party members do not also have it.
Claws: Natural weapons aren’t all that useful unless you’re in a situation where you don’t have your gear, which makes this ability situationally useful.
Hunter’s Instincts: Solid choice of skill proficiencies that will benefit just about any build.
Daunting Roar: An AoE frighten effect has a bonus action is some serious value. This ability only works within a 10ft radius and uses your CON modifier, so it is ultimately best for martial builds.
Sources Used in This Guide
- BR: Basic Rules
- SotDQ: Dragonlance: Shadow of the Dragon Queen
- ERLW: Eberron: Rising from the Last War
- EEPC: Elemental Evil Player’s Companion
- EGtW: Explorer’s Guide to Wildemount
- FToD: Fizban's Treasury of Dragon
- GGtR: Guildmasters' Guide to Ravnica
- MotM: Monsters of the Multiverse
- MToF: Mordenkainen’s Tome of Foes
- MOoT: Mythic Odyessys of Theros
- PHB: Player's Handbook
- SAiS: Spelljammer: Adventures in Space
- SCoC: Strixhaven: A Curriculum of Chaos
- SCAG: Sword Coast Adventurer’s Guide
- TCoE: Tasha’s Cauldron of Everything
- TTP: The Tortle Package
- WBtW: The Wild Beyond The Witchlight
- VRGtR: Van Richten's Guide to Ravenloft
- VGtM: Volo's Guide to Monsters
- XGtE: Xanathar’s Guide to Everything
2 thoughts on “Leonin”
Have you considered the fact that Leonin could make a decent Wizard? No bonus to INT is obviously a disadvantage, but the CON buff is nice for holding concentration, not to mention the roar can get you out of a spot where your Wizard is pinned in between a rock and a hard place. Especially if your party is rolling for stats, it seems like you could do pretty well as a Leonin Wizard
I’d say that, even if you’re playing with Tasha’s Customize Your Origins rules, leonin are subpar wizards. The Daunting Roar feature is really the only thing that a wizard would use from the leonin’s racial traits and even then is way worse than something like the fear spell. When you compare the leonin to a yuan-ti or satyr that have resistance against magic, or a fairy that grants flight and spells the leonin comes out way behind.